Monday, May 23, 2011

Project Green Book- Week 4

I started for the trip to Topslip on March 26, 2011(Saturday) along with my batch mates Illakiya, Gangai, Vinoth and Anand (a new friend through this trip) and WWS coordinator, Kiran, with a vague mind just to spend my weekend in a fruitful way.
We reached Topslip at 12 noon, refreshed and reached the school within ten minutes. Initially, we started getting introduction from the students.

Our Team


First thing which made me feel proud to join this trip was because of the response from a kid when I enquired whether we were disturbing them to attend the classes even on Saturday & Sunday (blessed holidays for us!!)  The response was- “We don’t find any difference between holidays and other days. We enjoy and eagerly wait for you to visit and make us engaged by dancing, singing, playing and teach us new things”.
After the introduction, we divided the kids class-wise and started to teach them Mathematics (division). Our friends from WWS who had visited last week made our work easy, as they had taught them the basics of addition and subtraction. The kids showed a lot of interest to learn and responded very well, which encouraged us to teach them more. I realized that teaching is not very easy(I salute my kindergarten teachers!)

One of our volunteers teaching the kids


By now the kids had multiplied their energy too. We stopped the Mathematics session at 4pm and screened a movie (Kavalan) for them.

Kids watching "Kavalan" movie

Fun session like dancing, singing, and playing games followed. Playing with the kids reminded me of my childhood days.

Playing 'Kho-Kho' with the kids


They didn’t let us to go but finally managed to leave by 8pm.The next day we got a chance to visit few places in Topslip .Driving through the dense forest was really adventurous and we were lucky to spot few elephants.We reached the school on Sunday at 10 am. Students had already come. The Mathematics sessions ended at 12.45 pm .It was time to leave them. The kids asked for our mobile numbers. I heard one of them calling out, “bye Ramya akka”. I felt proud for my recognition. All of us shared a common feel, “We too had achieved something in life”.

Our Achievement


 
We started for Coimbatore at 1 pm. At that moment, I had a new definition for life, not as vague as I thought while I had started for the trip.I experienced a bitter truth through this trip that  our country has still many more  tribal villages like this where the kids have to walk minimum of 10 kms to their school. I feel happy about my contribution.
Friends, all I would like to say is,”We are really gifted”.
“Service to the mankind is service to the God”

No comments:

Post a Comment